The following are the changes for the 4.1 beta version of Rainmeter. You can safely install the new 4.1 beta version right over top of your existing Rainmeter 4.0 or earlier installation, and nothing you have done will be lost or changed. There is never any need to uninstall any earlier version of Rainmeter to use the newest version.
Note: As of Rainmeter 4.0, Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer supported by the application.
Rainmeter 4.0 and later require at least Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 and the Platform Update applied. These should have been automatically applied several years ago by Windows Update, but if you have Windows Update turned off you may need to get and apply these updates manually. Windows versions later than Windows 7 are fully supported.
If you are on Windows XP or Windows Vista, and can't or don't wish to upgrade, you will need to stay on the 3.3 Release version of Rainmeter.
Changes in Rainmeter Beta 4.1
Additional details on important changes as the beta cycle progresses can always be found at Change Announcements.
September 19, 2017 - Revision 2876
- Fixed Rainmeter: Corrected several issues with the new nested variables syntax.
September 11, 2017 - Revision 2873
- Added Variables: Added Character Reference Variables to allow plain-text coding of Unicode characters and symbols, as well as icons from specialized fonts like FontAwesome. See Character Reference Variables for details.
- Changed About Dialog: Major improvements to the Skins panel. Now shows both the "number" and "string" value of measures, and indicates when a measure is either disabled, paused, or both. See Skins Tab for details.
- Changed PCRE: Added UCP support to the regular expression library, to enable \X \P \p in expressions.
- Changed Plugin API: Made some updates and corrections to the Rainmeter Plugin API. Plugin authors should re-base or download the current Rainmeter Plugin SDK.
- Fixed NowPlaying: Corrected a long-standing problem with NowPlaying not reacting properly to changes in the state of "shuffle" and "repeat" in iTunes.
August 24, 2017 - Revision 2858
- Fixed Lua Scripting: Corrected an issue where in some cases retrieving a variable with Inline Lua could crash Rainmeter.
- Fixed Rainmeter: Corrected an issue where "escaped" nested variables were not being parsed correctly. The syntax for escaping a nested variable is
August 23, 2017 - Revision 2851
- Added Lua Scripting: Added inline Lua section variables, to support an inline return of a value from Lua with a function() call or by retrieving a variable. See Inline Lua for details.
- Added Rainmeter: Added an alternative nesting variables syntax, to enable nesting variables, section variables, and mouse variables inside each other. See Nesting Variables for details.
- Added Net measures: Added a new
UseBitsoption to return the value of NetIn / NetOut / NetTotal measures in bits rather than the default bytes.
- Changed AudioLevel: Increased the size of the buffer for DeviceList from 512 to 4096.
- Changed Languages: Updated the ChineseTraditional language.
- Fixed NowPlaying: Corrected an issue where Spotify was not always updating the State to Playing.
July 28, 2017 - Revision 2838
- Changed Lua Scripting: Due to recent changes made in how each Lua script maintains its own distinct state in the Rainmeter environment, we have been able to add the debug, setfenv, getfenv and coroutine functionality back into the Lua package.
- Fixed Skin Installer: Fixed an issue where in some cases .rmskin names or path names in the .rmskin or on the installing computer could cause the installation to fail with Unicode characters. This was due to a problem in an ancient ZIP library being used, and has been updated.
July 7, 2017 - Revision 2824
- Added Rainmeter: Drag Groups can now be created by selecting skins while holding CTRL-ALT, and dragging one skin, or nudging with the arrow keys will move all selected skins. See Multiple Skins for details.
- Fixed Formulas: Corrected a missing BitwiseXOR formula operator.
July 1, 2017 - Revision 2822
- Fixed Languages: Corrected an encoding problem with the Russian language.
June 29, 2017 - Revision 2821
- Added Bangs: New !EditSkin bang. Opens the current or a specified skin .ini file in the text editor defined in ConfigEditor in the Rainmeter settings, or associated with .ini files in Windows. The default will be Windows Notepad.exe.
- Added Built-in variables: New #CONFIGEDITOR# variable. The path and executable for the text editor defined in ConfigEditor in Rainmeter settings, or the text editor associated with .ini files in Windows. The default will be Windows Notepad.exe.
- Changed Rainmeter: When dragging skins, temporarily enable the 'Show window contents while dragging' system option if disabled in Windows, to allow skins to draw during dragging and use the snapping feature.
June 24, 2017 - Revision 2815
- Changed NowPlaying: For Spotify, the artist and song text is obtained from the Windows titlebar of the Spotify application. Spotify used to prefix the text with "Spotify - ", but they don't anymore. The change to NowPlaying for Spotify fixes that. For iTunes, the change allows the album art to be retrieved for streaming songs as well as of local only songs.
- Changed Languages: Updated Dutch, Russian and Swedish translations.
- Fixed Shape meter: Corrected a bug introduced in a previous beta that broke some features of the stroke style, like
June 7, 2017 - Revision 2807
- Fixed Shape meter: Corrected a bug introduced in r2806 that caused transform modifiers on Path shapes to be invalid.
June 1, 2017 - Revision 2806
- Added Bangs: Added new !FadeDuration and !FadeDurationGroup bangs to set the FadeDuration in milliseconds when activating/deactivating a skin, using the fade-in / fade-out effects on mouse over, or when the fade bangs are used.
- Changed NowPlaying: Changed the measure values for Progress and SetPosition to use floating point numbers instead of integers for increased accuracy.
- Fixed Shape meter: Corrected a possible crash or unexpected behavior when Combined shapes were defined before their component shapes in the meter. The order of the options in the meter are now of no consequence, as it is with all other meter and measure options.
May 10, 2017 - Revision 2793
- Added Formulas: Added new Deg math function to convert radians to degrees.
- Fixed Shape meter: Fix invalid radial gradient on combined shapes.
- Fixed Installer: Fixed Rainmeter installer to support Windows Server 2008 R2, which is functionally analogous to Windows 7.
April 21, 2017 - Revision 2787
- Added String meter: Added new FontWeight option.
- Added Shape meter: Added Path1 alternative of the Path shape. It will use a different form of the SVG fill-rule when the shape is filled with a color or gradient. This determines what parts of a shape with intersecting segments are "inside" the shape and what are "outside", for purposes of filling the shape with the defined color or gradient. See Path1 shape for details.
- Added CoreTemp plugin: The author of both the CoreTemp application and Rainmeter plugin, Arthur Liberman, added CPU core-specific values to the data available in the plugin. See CoreTemp plugin for details.
- Changed Bitmap meter: Changed the allowable measure value when BitmapExtend=1 from a C-language int data type (2,147,483,647 maximum) to int64 (9,223,372,036,854,775,807 maximum).
- Fixed Bangs: Fixed an issue when the config parameter of a bang contained a leading or trailing slash.
- Fixed InputText plugin: Fixed a possible Rainmeter crash if an input box is open and the skin is deactivated.
- Fixed Shape meter: Fixed a possible Rainmeter crash if the starting point of a Path shape was invalid.
- Fixed Bitmap meter: Fixed an issue where BitmapExtend=1 would not increase the meters width and/or height, which would cause the meter to ignore DynamicWindowSize and draw outside its bounds and possibly truncate outside the skin window.
- Fixed Bitmap meter: Fixed an issue where the Padding height values on the meter would be ignored in some situations.
- Fixed InlineSetting: Corrected an issue where Rainmeter could crash in some cases when an initial empty string was received by a meter using InlineSetting.
- Fixed Shape meter: Fixed an issue where certain gradients would not display correctly if there were multiple gradients in a shape meter.